Thursday, March 08, 2007

Captain America Shot on Courthouse Steps


Captain America, the Sentinel of Liberty, the Star-Spangled Avenger, has been shot dead by a sniper on the steps of a New York courthouse, the New York Times reports today. He was 66.

In the wake of Civil War, the Marvel Universe-wide event that pretty much pitted everybody against everybody else, but was plagued by delays and no small amount of disappointment, I guess Marvel figured they needed a little extra 'oomph' to cap it all off.

I'm not a Marvel Zombie (although, ironically, I did really enjoy Marvel Zombies), but as a long-time reader of comics, hell, even just a citizen of North America, I know one thing for sure: Cap will be back. I'm getting a bit cynical about this, as you may have suspected, but I must express my comparative admiration for DC Comics, who killed off my namesake, The Flash, in 1985, and haven't succumbed to the pressure to bring him back. Although Barry Allen is dead, at least he has the good sense to stay that way and avoid stupid publicity stunts.

Nevertheless, I'll pick up Cap's comic this week and give you a review soon.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I always agreed with the comment that someone made in Wizards Magazine to the effect that Barry Allen works much better as a legacy for the present Flashes to live up to than he would if DC had brought him back. Nonetheless, you're right, I'm sure Cap'll be back.

Flash said...

The only thing I would have liked to see was more reaction to his death - Barry 'worked' beside the members of the JLA for years, but outside of Crisis, it wasn't really addressed. References are made to him in retrospect, and about his legacy, but let's hear/see the 'day after', and how his friends dealt with it. That's the only 'real' aspect that's missing.